Spring is in full swing and so are the tasty berries in Southern California.
With these fresh and local berries being high in flavor and lower in sugar than other popular fruits they have been a go to for my recent kitchen exploration.
Possibly one of the easiest recipes I’ve been playing around with which is a treat and a health food at the same time. I recommend using either Great Lakes brand gelatin or Bulletproof Collagelatin for this and any other recipe requiring a gelling component.
This is a variation of the Blueberry Un-Cheesecake recipe from the newly released book Head Strong by Dave Asprey which explores the newest science on the effects the environment on our mitochondria. Enjoy!
- 1 cup of your favorite fresh or frozen berries
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 Tbs gelatin
- 4 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 Tbs Brain Octane oil
- 1 tsp vanila bean powder or 1/2 tsp vanila extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint spirits
- It depends on the sweetness of the fruit, but feel free to add your favorite sweetener to your desired flavor
- Place everything Except gelatin, water and sweetener( if using) into a blender
- Heat the water over low heat until warm, stir in the gelatin and sweetener if using until its dissolved
- When the gelatin is dissolved add the water to the blender
- Blend until smooth and pour into your favorite molds, or any container.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until set
- For faster settling put in the freezer for 1.5 hours and defrost for 20 minutes before serving
- Serve with fresh berries and chopped nuts or whatever you like
- Freeze any excess for tasty snacks later on.